Flameproof light fixtures protect fires from electrical failures or other ignition sources. Any house needs them, particularly in fire-prone areas like the kitchen, bathroom, and garage.
This blog covers the best five flameproof light fittings for your house. We will also provide flameproof light fixture selection advice.
Read on for our best flameproof light fixtures outdoor to safeguard your house from fire or provide the safest illumination.
Why you should install flameproof lighting in your home:
- Avoid spreading fire in the case of an electrical failure or other ignition source.
- These lessen fire danger and are ideal for houses with young children or pets.
- It improves household safety.
- Available in several designs and finishes to fit your decor.
- Reduce energy costs.
Different types of LED flameproof light fixtures are available.
Here are some of the different types of flameproof light fixtures available:
Bulkhead fixtures are designed to be mounted on walls or ceilings. They have glass or plastic lenses and are usually metal.
Surface-mount fixtures are mounted on walls or ceilings without housings. The light bulb is exposed.
Pendant fixtures are hung from the ceiling. You can find them in metal, plastic, or glass.
Ceiling-or wall-mounted track lights They can be moved around to direct the light where you need it.
Recessed fixtures are installed in the ceiling. They are ideal for kitchens and bathrooms where light should be blocked.
Fixtures with an explosion-proof construction are made for use in potentially explosive environments. The seal is fire-resistant and usually made of metal.
You determine which flameproof light fixture is appropriate for your house. Take into account your lighting, décor, and safety.
Why should you choose flameproof light fixtures for your home?
The type of flameproof light fixture: There are different types of flameproof light fixtures available, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Most fixtures are bulkhead, surface-mount, pendant, track light, recessed, or explosion-proof.
If you need flameproof lighting, consider the area to be lit, your décor, and the level of protection you need.
The type of light bulb: LED flameproof light fixtures can use a variety of light bulbs, including incandescent, fluorescent, and LED bulbs. The cheapest bulbs are incandescent. Fluorescent bulbs flicker and hum despite being the most energy-efficient. LED bulbs last longest and save energy.
The mounting type: Flameproof light fixtures can be mounted on the wall, ceiling, or track. Consider the location where you want to install the light fixture when choosing the mounting type.
The level of protection: Flameproof light fixtures are rated for different levels of protection. The fixture is safer with higher ratings. If fire is a concern, use a stronger fixture.
There is a wide price range for flameproof lighting, from just a few dollars to several hundred. Consider your budget when choosing a flameproof light fixture.
The top 5 flameproof light fixtures Amazon recommends for residential use
Feit Electric 24-in. This heavy-duty steel bulkhead light fixture is approved for wet areas.
It is perfect for situations where fires are likely because it is explosion-proof. These 2,400 lumens are equivalent to 250-watt incandescent bulbs. It lasts 50,000 hours.
Westinghouse 12-in. Flush Mount LED Light Fixture: This flush mount light fixture is made of metal and is rated for damp locations.
It won’t break if dropped, making it ideal for families with children and pets. Its 1,200 lumens match 100-watt incandescents. Lasts 25,000 hours.
Emerson 9-in. LED Recessed Light Fixture: This recessed light fixture is made of metal and is rated for dry locations. It’s dimmable, making it adaptable for illumination.
An 800-lumen bulb is comparable to a 60-watt incandescent light. It lasts 25,000 hours.
Leviton 6-in. Surface Mount LED Light Fixture: This surface mount light fixture is made of metal and is rated for dry locations. IP65 guarantees water and dust resistance. It provides 400 lumens, like a 30-watt incandescent. And it lasts 25,000 hours.
Commercial Electric 4-Light LED Pendant Light:
This pendant light fixture is made of metal and is rated for damp locations. Its industrial design matches many decor types. Its 2,800 lumens match a 250-watt incandescent. Its lifetime is 50,000 hours.
There are various flameproof or explosion proof light bulb fixtures. When selecting a flameproof light fixture, evaluate your home’s demands and protection level.
Installation tips for flameproof light fixtures
- Read the installation instructions carefully. Follow the directions carefully while installing flameproof light fixtures, which are more complicated.
- Choose the right tools. Torque wrenches are needed for flameproof light fittings. Before installing, check your tools.
- Follow local electrical regulations. Explosion proof lighting LEDs are usually put in dangerous areas and thus obey local electrical requirements.
- Install the fixture with a licensed electrician. A licensed electrician should install the fixture if you’re not comfortable.
- Make sure the fixture is grounded.
- Choose the right light bulb. Flameproof light fixtures need hazardous-area-specific bulbs.
- Remove dust and dirt from the fixture. These restrict fire spread.
These suggestions will help you install your flameproof light fixture securely.
Here are some additional safety tips to keep in mind when installing flameproof light fixtures:
- Power off the circuit before operating.
- Protect yourself from electrical shocks and burns with safety eyewear and gloves.
- Do not overtighten connections. That might damage or ignite the fixture.
- A licensed electrician should install the fixture if you’re not comfortable.
These flameproof light fixture installation safety precautions might help avoid accidents and injuries.
How to maintain and care for flameproof light fixtures
- Inspect the fixture regularly for signs of damage or wear. These include checking for cracks in the housing, loose connections, and burned-out light bulbs.
- Clean the fixture regularly. Clean the fixture with a gentle cloth and soapy water. Harsh cleaning and chemicals might ruin the finish.
- Regularly replace light bulbs. Light bulbs should be replaced every 1-2 years, depending on the kind.
- Service the fixture every few years by a licensed electrician. It will verify that the fixture works properly and satisfies current safety regulations.
What is a flameproof light fitting?
A flameproof lamp fitting prevents fire from spreading from an electrical fault or other ignition source. Usually metal and coated with a heat-resistant substance.
Is LED light flameproof?
LED lights are not inherently flameproof. However, they can be made flameproof by using a flameproof housing or coating. There are many applications for flameproof LED lighting, including oil refineries and chemical plants.
Why is it beneficial to use flameproof lights?
The benefits of flameproof light include:
- Increased safety: Flameproof lights help to prevent the spread of fire in the event of an electrical fault or other ignition source.
- Reduced risk of accidents: Flameproof lights can help reduce the risk of accidents such as electrical fires and burns.
- Longer lifespan: Flameproof lights are typically made of durable materials that can withstand harsh environments. These can have a longer lifespan than non-flameproof lights.
- Lights that are flameproof are more energy-efficient. It reduces energy costs.
What is the voltage of a flameproof light?
The voltage of flameproof light can vary depending on the type of light fixture. However, most flameproof lights are designed to operate at a voltage of 120 volts or 240 volts.
What are explosion-proof lights?
Flameproof, explosion-proof lights are intended for use in explosive-prone settings. Metal or other non-flammable elements and a specific seal prevent fires and explosions.
What is an explosion-proof LED?
Explosion-proof LED lights are intended for use in explosive settings. They are built of metal or other non-flammable materials and feature a seal to prevent fires and explosions.
How many lights does a structure need?
The size, type, and intended illumination level of a structure determine its lighting fixture needs. Generally, most structures require one light fixture for every 10 square feet.
In conclusion, while picking a flameproof light fixture, evaluate your home’s demands and protection level. Read the installation instructions and observe local electrical regulations. Maintaining your flameproof light fixture will provide years of safe and dependable illumination.